Sunday, August 7, 2011

Pesto Brie & Veggie Sandwich & Salad (baked)

Last night, someone asked me "what are you doing tomorrow?" I said, "I don't really know. I like to keep Sundays free and open and see what moves me or comes of it." And we left it at that. And just as I said, I woke up today with no real plans. It's kind of nice. What ended up moving me today was gardening and cooking. But the weather had other plans, so mostly cooking was accomplished. I also wanted to do some sewing, but I think I've really screwed the machine up and will need to take it to a professional before I can move on with it. I had a lot of time on my hands today, so I decided to revisit the blog world. As updated in the "about this blog and me" page, it's been a long time.
I really want to share cooking and food related information. Plus the occasional random thought, little thing that makes me happy, or thing that makes my face crinkle into "WTF?", or piece of art/sewing I'm working on... Really, I have high hopes, but I've had them before...

So for tonight's post: My Dinner, as I eat it.
In the few minutes I had in the garden, I was able to collect a lot of herbs. Many are flowering (busy life means less time to catch bolting herbs and greens). But I was able to get a ton of basil, some parsley, lots of chives, and some lettuce greens.

Hence, salad was calling my name, especially coupled with this hot-ish summer day (although really stormy!). But I wanted to try a sandwich too. One of my sisters and I have been talking about grilled cheeses for sometime now. She got one yesterday. Today is my turn!

What follows is the ingredient list and instructions for my Pesto Brie Veggie Sandwich and Salad (baked). Feel free to amend whatever, but note that the nutritional information will vary based on your amendments.


    The Sandwich
    Whole Wheat Bread, 2 slices (I have a great bread that is only 45 calories a slice, please check your bread for info) 
    Trader Joe's Goat Brie Cheese at 90 calories per 1 oz 
    Fresh chives, long sprigs several 
    Zucchini, .5 cup- sliced lengthwise 
    Carrots, raw, .5 cup, sliced lengthwise 
    Basil leaves torn 
    The Salad 
    Leaf lettuce, 1.5 cup, chopped 
    Red Onions, .25 cup, sliced 
    Basil, 5 leaves torn 
    Parsley 10 sprigs chopped 
    Fresh chives, chopped 
    Mushrooms, fresh, .25 cup slices 
    (some kind, your preference) Vinegar

Check out my sweet $1 toaster oven!
I <3 thrift/second(3rd, 4th???)-hand treasures.
Instructions:
Cut the zucchini & carrots thick enough to grill (or roast or or bake saute). For tonight, I am going to bake them: I have 3 large slices of each. Spray with olive oil, sprinkle with salt and pepper. I used the toaster oven because it's too hot to use the big oven. Plus, it requires less energy, which is a bonus when you're trying to have less impact on the planet and your wallet. On average a toaster oven uses 1/2 the amount of energy as a full size oven. Not less than a microwave, but "microwave" does not compute in my kitchen, so it's a non-argument. Bake on 400 until tender (15 minutes).

Spread 1 tablespoon, between the two pieces bread, of my almond pesto recipe (to be posted soon). Bake for 4 minutes to toast. Add brie to toast and bake 3 more minutes to soften/melt. Remove from oven, layer veggies, add the fresh chives and torn basil leaves and close the sandwich.

Toss lettuce with onions, shrooms, basil, parsley and vinegar (of your choice, I choose red wine). Add salt and pepper to taste.

Another filling, satisfying, lovely meal just under 300 calories but full of nutrients!

I think next time I will have 4 slices of each vegetable and maybe add a leaf of lettuce to the sandwich, or put the mushrooms on the sandwich instead of the salad. Overall this was a tasty dinner!


Nutritional Info
  • Servings Per Recipe: 1
  • Amount Per Serving
  • Calories: 294.7
  • Total Fat: 13.9 g
  • Cholesterol: 10.0 mg
  • Sodium: 502.1 mg
  • Total Carbs: 25.9 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 12.2 g
  • Protein: 18.7 g
  • retrieved from: (http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=1758274)

No comments: