Sunday, September 11, 2011

Scarborough Fair Stuffed Zucchini


My urban garden is in full bloom...and I've been thinking a lot about barley lately. I am not sure why, but since it's been on my mind I decided to do something about it. I really like barley and have mostly enjoyed it in soups. Tonight, I decided to use it as a stuffing. I should back-up a bit...I have also been dreaming of stuffing this perfectly formed [screaming to be stuffed] eight-ball zucchini from the garden. Really, what  else is this thing asking for but to be topped, scooped and stuffed??

I should also note that tonight I have had my eyes dilated and hence was really challenged with vision while cooking. So give me some leeway if my photos or measurements are a little off... I had to take glasses on and off based on what task was to be completed. I now have a slight headache, but a glass of  Merlot (from a nice bottle my neighbor presented me as a 'thank you' for watching his kitties) is helping with that. On another side note, the result of dilated eyes was that I am doing fine- my eyes haven't changed much since my last appointment (over 7 years ago) and I was told by the doc- "Considering your eyes haven't changed much in the last 6-7 years, whatever you're doing, keep doing it!" To which I replied, "well, I do eat a lot of carrots" 'cause I do. I will be getting some new frames/lenses because my insurance will cover it and because of all the time I spend on the PC it's recommended I get the anti-glare lenses. I'll be sure to share whether I note a difference or not. 7-14 days from now, though, so don't hold your breath.

Ok, back to dinner- I am stuffed! As was my lil' zucchini. But it was tasty. Next time, my Scarborough mix will be stronger- I didn't pick nearly enough rosemary, thyme or parsley. I had plenty of sage. (sing along with me, Paaar-sley, Saaage, Rose-Maaary and Thyyyyme). I have amended the recipe to show what I think would be appropriate vs what I actually did. So play with it as you please. I also added a bit more pepper once the plate was served. I think overall, I could have used more salt and pepper while cooking. But to each their own with that. And I definitely had some of the barley mix left over- at least 1/3 of it ( which I plan to put on a salad to bring to work for lunch).

Ingredients
Zucchini
  • 1 round, or oblong, zucchini originally weighing about (pre-seeded/scooped 300 grams 
  • 1/4 C Barley, pearled, raw, 0.15 cup (remove)1/4 C Celery, chopped
  • 1 C Water
  • 1/4 C Carrots chopped
  • 1/4 C Celery chopped
  • 1/4 C + 3 T Onions, chopped
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic minced
  • 1 C Mushrooms chopped
  • Sprigs of parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme divided in 2/3 to 1/3
Sauce
  • 2-3 Italian Red Ripe Tomatoes 
  • 2 T Tomato Paste
  • 1/2 tsp Garlic minced
  • 1 tsp Olive Oil
  • 2 T Water
  • Sprigs of parsley, sage, rosemary & thyme using what remains from barley mix



Make it
 1. Cut the top off the zucchini and scoop out the insides. If needed cut the bottom so it stands flat, but without putting a hole in the bottom. Dust with pepper and salt, add a little water to the inside of the zucchini and wrap in foil. Place it in the toaster oven (no need to warm the whole big oven!) at 400.

2. While the zucchini is baking (this is done to soften it up some before stuffing), start the barley. Rinse it well, then boil it in 3 parts water 1 part barley to cook.
3. As the barley and zucchini cook, chop the rest of the veggies for both the stuffing and sauce. Near the end of the barley cooking add the celery, carrots, garlic and onions plus the herbs. Continue to cook, add water if necessary, until the veggies are soft.
4. Meanwhile, prepare the sauce. In a small saucepan, add all the ingredients and bring to a boil, then cover and reduce and simmer.
5. At the very end of the barley cooking, add the shrooms. This keeps them firm but cooked.
6. Check the zucchini. Make sure it stays firm enough to stuff, but soft enough to poke with a fork.
7. Remove the zucchini from the oven, stuff it with the hot barley mix, and top it with the fresh sauce. Serve hot.


Again, another really satisfying meal for under 300 calories!



Nutritional Info

Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 278.1
Total Fat: 2.1 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 420.1 mg
Total Carbs: 60.1 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.4 g
Protein: 11.7 g

No comments: