Sunday, September 25, 2011

Base Soup Meal 2 - Creamy Curry Soup in a Snap!

My little sister Nikki called while I was making this, so I am not really sure how long it took to make. But if memory serves me right, it was pretty quick- or Snappy if you will. And, since she called I wasn't able to take as many photos as I usually like to share with my recipe posts, so you'll have to use your imagination.
This is the second dinner I made using the Garden Tomato Base Soup or Sauce. I am really getting into the idea of the "base soup" concept. I have some great ideas for the next few dinners, but will keep you waiting in expense to find out what I was able to do.
I found myself dreaming of curry the other day (I know-shocker since I <3 Curry SO much!). I think I was remembering a conversation I had with my Indian friend, Anette, and how she uses curry almost everyday. We discussed the Tomatillo as we worked in the college community garden together. Anette had never heard of a tomatillo, so I explained its unique tomato-like texture with hints of chili flavor. I ventured to guess that a tomatillo would make a delicious green curry... if my freaking tomatillos ever come in in my own garden, I'll venture to prove my guess correct. But don't hold your breath since they are still not in and it's nearly October!
I digress...this post is not about tomatillos or green curry. It's about a curry dish I made with my Garden Tomato Base Soup or Sauce. And it's about how damn tasty and super quick it was to make (since the base was already started).

Ingredients:
3/4 - 1 C water 
1 Jalapeno pepper
3 T dry red lentils
1/4 C Almond Milk, Unsweetened
1 T Curry powder
1/2 tsp coriander
1/2 tsp cumin
1/4 tsp white pepper

1/2 loaf of Na'an

Make it: 
  1. Heat the base tomato soup and the water to a boil, stir in red lentils and simmer covered. 
  2. While that mixture is cooking, roast the pepper on the flame of the stove burner. 
  3. Once the skin is scorched, toss it in a paper bag for 5 minutes to cool. 
  4. Stir the tomato mixture. Peel the pepper, seed and dice it. Toss it in the tomato mix, recover and simmer. 
  5. When the lentils have softened, the new soup mix should be relatively thick. 
  6. Start toasting or heating the Na'an anyway you prefer- careful not to burn it. 
  7. Stir or whip the soup using a handle held blender to make the mix smooth. Stir in the almond milk and remove from heat. 
  8. Pour into a serving bowl and serve with Na'an. This got a little spicy, so it was nice to temper it with the Na'an. Though if calories and carbs of real concern, then you can skip the tasty bread and just fill up on this oh so satisfying soup. 



And there you have it...yet another yummy dinner for 1, with just the right amount of protein and calories and filling goodness to last the whole night. And all for under 400 calories (again, take out the Na'an and we're under 300) with 16 grams of protein and many other nutrients!

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Amount Per Serving
Calories: 356.1
Total Fat: 7.8 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 428.2 mg
Total Carbs: 60.2 g
Dietary Fiber: 12.7 g
Protein: 16.0 g

No comments: