Sunday, November 6, 2011

the little toaster oven that could (can)

The alternate title to this post is Oven Roasted Jalapenos. 

I think I've mentioned using my toaster oven before, but have I told you about it? Well, it's fabulous. Toaster ovens are a great alternative to the regular oven because they are small, consume way less energy and work pretty fast (because of their small size and less space to heat). So having one is really important to making my kitchen complete.
My last toaster oven caught on fire. That happens sometimes. So I was without one for a long while. Then, this summer I was at this house of a thrift store- seriously, it's a house with 4 stories of stuff in every room. Each room or level benefits a different charity. These charities decided it'd be a great opportunity to get this house and collectively share the cost of a thrift storefront. What a brilliant idea! And extra bonus for me. I left this house two times with bags full of things I needed. I mean really needed, not just wanted, and mostly bulky stuff (think kitchen and bedding). So cool.
Anyway, about the Toaster Oven. Everything was on sale- I love when thrift stores have sales. There were BOGs, percent-off offers, then there was a room with kitchen goods. And their sale was anything you can fit in a brown paper grocery sack for 1$. I had a paper bag filled with 3 pitchers, a bread knife and a mixing bowl. Then I had this toaster oven. The volunteer ringing me up told me that the toaster oven didn't really fit in the sack, so I'd have to buy it separately. Ok, how much? Umm, 1$. Sweet! I said, handing over 2 crisp 1$ bills, while I thought, I hope it doesn't catch on fire...

Well, it's Fall and that was Summer and I've used this bad-boy so much since then. And, knock on wood, it has yet to catch on fire. Hooray! A dollar well spent indeed. I know it's not the fanciest machine, it's not convection or multi-tiered. It's a simple Black & Decker model, probably at least 10 years old. It only has bake or toast as options and it's not the prettiest. It was obviously pre-loved( though I wonder if as much as it is now). But it's a great little oven and it makes me happy.

Here's an example, mind you only one example of many, many, things my oven is good for: Roasted Jalapenos!

I had a bunch of jalapenos that were starting to crinkle and turn. I didn't want to lose them, especially since I grew them, so I decided to roast them and stuff them in oil for later use. I might split them up and add them to canned goods for Christmas presents. We'll see.
This was very simple. cut and core the jalapenos and tossed them with a liberal amount of oil. Turned the oven up to about 400 and let them cook. 
I have no idea how long they were in there- I was making a bunch of other food- but it was probably at least 30 minutes. They were a little crispy and browned on edges. I think that's fine. 
Then I stuffed them in a small (empty) horseradish jar and filled it with more oil. These will stay in there for a long time and I can use the oil or the peppers or both whenever I want. 

I seriously *heart* my toaster oven. 



No comments: