Sunday, February 5, 2012

Help me name this!

I was at the Whole Foods on Kingsbury, yeah the crazy mega-mall of Whole Foods, and checking out the bulk section when I saw "kamut". I had seen it before, but never really gave it much thought. But I wanted a new grain, something other than barley or rice or quinoa or millet- though I love those things dearly, I was looking for a change. Seems to be a mantra in my life lately- change....So why the hell not change it up with some Kamut? Yeah, I can dig it.

"Whole kamut (pronounced ka-moo) is a non-hybridized hard spring wheat. It is an ancient relative of modern durum (semolina) wheat that develops a very large kernel. Kamut has a rich, buttery flavor and chewy texture. Kamut has 30% higher protein than wheat, is richer in magnesium, zinc, and vitamin E. Contains gluten, but many wheat sensitive people eat it without reaction"(http://www.purcellmountainfarms.com/Organic%20Kamut%20Grain.htm)

Per 1/4 C dry serving, Kamut packs 5 g protein, 33% of daily fiber, 8% iron, only 1 gram fat and 140-160 calories (depending on which source you find). That's not bad. 

And, the other day, I found some lovely portobello caps at my favorite little grocery store, the Chicago Green Grocer. I know, I know, I should just go here for whatever I need or want all the time- instead of mega-mall-whole-foods, but sometimes I want to (shamelessly) walk around the massive space with eyes wide for new and exciting things- like Kamut (forgive me Casey, I'll try to do a better job of resisting temptations). Anyway, point is, I love the mushrooms that Casey sells. They come from River Valley Ranch and are downright amazingly tasty! Really, I think they have a richer flavor than what you find elsewhere. Maybe it's because they are so fresh, not trucked around the states to get to the store and sit on a shelf in plastic and foam- or maybe it's what they use as a growing medium and what they feed them- or a combination of both? Whatever it is, they are delectable. 

Now on to thinking about what to do: right, I have this kamut and these portobellos. I could make a stir-fry and try the kamut as I would rice. I could make a pilaf. Or maybe portobello tacos with Mexican-fried kamut? No. I have not taken advantage of my nifty single-serve casserole dishes nearly enough. This conversation with myself ended up with a dish that kind of reminds me of a potpie or a shepherd's pie, based on the breakdown of it all: stewy mixture covered with something. In this case, it's a stewy cabernet kamut and veggie mix topped with a gorgeous and perfectly sized portobello cap. Not sure what to call it, but I am sure you can dig it.  I definitely did.

Can you help me name it?

Ingredients: 
1 Portobello mushroom cap
1/4 C Kamut, dry
1 C Swiss Chard, (or any green) chopped
1/4 C of each- Celery, Carrots, Onion, chopped
1 shot (2 oz) Cabernet Sauvignon (or other red) Wine
1 C water
1/2 T Italian Seasoning
3-4 dashes ground black pepper
3-4 dashes garlic powder

Make it:
The few reviews I read about kamut recommended soaking it overnight. I did that.
Prepare your veggies, chop celery, onion and carrot and chard, but keep chard to the side. Bring 1 C of water to a boil with the veggies (the mirepoix), kamut and spices. Then reduce and cover for 15 minutes. While that is boiling, preheat the toaster oven to 400 (toaster oven temp- maybe 375 in regular oven?). Add chopped chard and wine to kamut mix. Stir the mix until chard is wilted. Now, transfer to your perfectly sized individual round casserole/baking dish. Cut 4 slits in the top of the mushroom cap. And place that tasty cap over the kamut mixture. Cover the entire dish, loosely so the cap is not confined too much, with foil and bake for 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and enjoy!

This really was scrumptious. I think next time I'll try to figure out how to thicken the stewy mix a bit more. I could have used corn starch, I know, but the kamut was not finished cooking in the pot and finished during the baking process. Maybe I'll cook it all the way in the pot and thicken it up before transferring to the casserole. I was afraid of the kamut becoming mushy. But after trying this, I don't think that's possible. It's really a hardy grain.

Weighing in under 300 calories, with almost 15 g of protein, this dish is a winner! Totally satisfied after eating it all. For hungrier folks, a bit of rustic bread and butter would go well with this.

Nutritional Info:
(as per the spark!)

Calories: 287.4
Total Fat: 1.7 g
Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
Sodium: 376.4 mg
Total Carbs: 54.5 g
Dietary Fiber: 13.1 g
Protein: 14.9 g




No comments: