Monday, August 22, 2011

Garden Fresh Portobello Tacos

I made these a while ago, but knew I'd want to share them once I got the blog back up and running. I didn't do much "cooking for one" this weekend. One of my best friends, the lovely Sarah came into town with her super cute baby Claudia. We had a BBQ with the beautiful Melissa and Joe- also my best, awesome friends who live here in Chicago with their two amazing little boys, Liam and Evan plus Joe's little brother Nicholas. It was great time with tons of cute baby action and fabulous adult conversations.
Yes, I cooked some things for it but they were meals for many. And I wasn't really pleased with one of the dishes- it needs work before I'd post it here. I might post the marinade, which was really good, I made for the kabobs, but I forgot to take pictures. So that might have to wait until I make them again. But first, I need a grill. Anyone getting rid of a table top gas grill? I really need one for myself, but don't like buying new things if I can find it gently loved by someone else that doesn't need it anymore.

Sarah and I had lunch before she left today. Sarah ordered Chicken Tacos and I had Gazpacho (I just can't get enough!) and we split an order of delicious fried cheese curds. I was admiring her tacos and kind of wished I had ordered some myself (not chicken, of course) so tonight I was thinking about these tacos I made a few weeks ago. I don't have the ingredients tonight, so I'm just eating leftovers from the BBQ. But I really want these instead.

They are called Garden Fresh not because I grew the mushrooms, but the pico de gallo that goes with it is from the garden- well, at least 1 tomato, the cilantro and the jalapenos.

Garden Fresh Portobello Tacos
Ingredients
  • 2 caps Portobello Mushrooms 
  • 2 Corn Tortillas (approx 6" dia) 
  • 1 1/2 ounces Reduced Fat Cheddar Cheese
  • 1/4 of Avocados, California (Haas)
  • 3 T Pico de Gallo*
  • *Pico de Gallo
  • 1 medium tomato, diced
  • a bunch of cilantro, chopped
  • 1/4 medium onion (spanish or red), diced
  • 1 jalapeno, diced
  • salt to taste
Make it
1. Slice the mushroom caps strips. 
2. Heat a skillet with cooking spray and add shrooms. 
3. Add 1/3 the amount of pico de gallo you have (really you can't have too much!) to the mushrooms, stir. Reduce heat to low. 
4. Shred the cheese (if using), chunk the avocado, and heat the tortillas. Getting them slightly damp before adding to a dry hot pan will help loosen up the tortillas for folding. 
5. Fill the heated tortillas with the mushrooms, avocado, remaining pico de gallo and top with cheese. 

These are really delicious and versatile. Try fresh cilantro and chopped onion. Or add cumin to the mushrooms while they cook. Don't use cheese and it's vegan. Oh the possibilities!! Of course, if you leave the cheese off you have a lesser calorie and fat dinner, but even still this one is just over 300 calories. Amazingly yummy, too! As you can see in the image, the mushrooms and pico mixes make much more than can fit in the tortillas, but makes a lovely salad-like dish to put on the side of this. Oh so satisfying. 

Nutritional Info
Servings Per Recipe: 1
Serving Size: 2 awesome tacos with extra Pico de Gallo & 'Shroom mixture salad

Amount Per Serving
Calories: 307.4
Total Fat: 14.7 g
Cholesterol: 15.0 mg
Sodium: 437.8 mg
Total Carbs: 36.7 g
Dietary Fiber: 8.8 g
Protein: 14.8 g

3 comments:

Sarah Zachrich Jeng said...

Mmmm... cheese curds...

The tacos look possibly tastier than cheese curds, though (and definitely much healthier)!

Love the pics and the blog.

Melissa Basilone said...

Those tacos look so delicious, and fresh! It makes me wish I could grow cilantro! ; )

stephenie said...

Thanks ladies! Let me know if you make them...and if you like it or not.
@Melissa, sorry your cilantro wont grow. When my second harvest comes in I'll bring you some.