Friday, August 19, 2011

Super Fast, Spicy Tom Yum-Inspired Soup

Tonight I was feeling a little snotty again. I don't know if it's a cold trying to step in or just some kind of allergy thing. I never really had sinus allergies, but I suppose that could have changed. Anyway, I was also craving spicy. So I made this soup that I have made many times before. It's really not a Tom Yum soup, since I rarely have lemon grass, but I don't know what else to call it. I started making it after eating many bowls of Tom Yum at my favorite Chicago Thai restaurant- Butterfly Sushi. 

It always varies based on what's in the fridge veggie drawer. Tonight it was pretty simple. But in the past, I've added shrooms, cilantro, radishes, spinach, tomatoes... it's a pretty open platform as far as soup goes.  This soup also cooks fast, so if you're starving it will sate you quickly.

As implied by the title, this soup is spicy! If you're not into that, probably cut out or reduce the amount of garlic and Sriracha.

Ingredients


1 tsp Grapeseed Oil
1 small Carrots shredded
1/5 block of firm tofu, chopped
2 ½ - 3 tsp Ginger, chopped
3 tsp minced Garlic
1/3 C shredded Red Cabbage
2 medium Scallions, chopped
¼ C Chard leaf, torn
1 ½ tsp Sriracha sauce
1 T soy sauce, light
1 1/2 C tap water



Directions
Prepare and sauté veggies, except chard, ginger and garlic in oil 3-5 minutes, add soy sauce, add tofu, stir 3 minutes more, add water, cover to boil then simmer for 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Add chard. Serve hot.

Nutritional Information
Servings Per Recipe: 1 big bowl

  • Calories: 191.0 
  • Total Fat: 9.5 g
  • Cholesterol: 0.0 mg
  • Sodium: 863.5 mg
  • Total Carbs: 17.7 g
  • Dietary Fiber: 4.2 g
  • Protein: 11.7 g

Another tasty, filling meal with tons of nutritional value and low calories. Hooray! I had some rice crackers on the side, too. 

4 comments:

Sarah Zachrich Jeng said...

I think I might have to make this... I bet it would be tasty using veg or chicken (in my case) stock too! Could you sub in olive oil for grapeseed or are they really different?

stephenie said...

@ Sarah, Grapeseed oil has less flavor than Olive oil, that's why I used it. I didn't want a very olivey taste. Though, if I had had sesame oil I would have used that.

nikki your little sis said...

Delicious! Wow! What a cheap dinner! Great for a family! All I had to do was mulitply by four and I had the perfect amount! But you should add the fact that it might take longer than 5 minutes to prepar if you have 2 kids and one on the way about to pop at any time! Hee hee! You are skating on thin ice towards claims of false advertisment young lady!

stephenie said...

Nikki, I don't think I can make claims like that without actually living it- so I will have to default to you to help those Momma's & Momma's to be with the expectation of time commitment here.